How to get your picky eater to eat !!
How to get your picky eater to eat !!: Children while growing up, learn to become self-dependent. They enjoy picking what clothes to wear, which game to play and what food to eat. It gives them a feeling of a new found independence which they tend to enjoy. This may lead them to pick eating habits where they may enjoy certain range of foods while ignoring the other.
Here are few tips on how make you picky eater like foods that are often ignored:
- Understand Your Child’s Appetite: A child may tend to eat a lot on a particular day while may eat very less the other. This is because as the child is growing, the energy requirements differ. Try not to “force feed” the child as it may lead to bloating, or stomach ache.
- Make The Food Interesting: Add a new food like broccoli or carrots in his favourite soup and make things interesting for him. Also try involving your child into making a sandwich for himself, that might want him to taste his “recipe”, or take him shopping and let him select food items that you want him to try, get him familiarized with different food, its colour, aroma, shape and texture.
- Be Your Child’s Role Model: Have you noticed your little girl imitating you when you are on call? This is because the little ones are wired to do so. So if you want to encourage your child to eat variety of healthy foods, you will have to do so yourself and set an example for your child. Try having meals together with the family and let your child see you and the rest of the members enjoy the meal you give him to eat.
- Minimize Distractions: Watching T.V or being on phone while eat with your child can cause distractions for your child as well. Switching on the T.V can lead to encouragement of non- nutritious and sugary food that may lead in negligence of the food served in front of him.
- Be patient: If nothing from above works, just remember to be patient with the child. He might not like the food once or twice but if kept on serving the food repeatedly without forcing him to eat, he might eventually start liking it. The key here is to be patient and let the child eat at his own pace
While the above article guides you to eating healthier, there is no substitute for customized professional advice given by a qualified nutritionist. We urge you to speak to your personal dietician or if you need help, contact a nutritionist at Qua Nutrition.
You can contact us at 080 3232 9292 or log on to www.quanutrition.com to Book An Appointment.