Kids to eat healthier-start with you(the parent)-start with a plan
- Offer your child a wide variety of healthy nutritious foods like green leafy veggies, fresh fruits, legumes etc.
- Encourage your child to eat plenty of cereals, but prefer inculcating the habit of eating wholegrain.
- Milk and other milk products are a must for the growth of child. They act as fabulous sources of calcium that ensures your child’s healthy bones and teeth. Going in for low fat skim milk is not recommended for children under the age of 2, but young children and adolescents can definitely opt for low fat milk varieties.
- As far as intake of non-vegetarian food is concerned, encourage your child to go in for lean meat, fish and poultry.
- Alcohol intake is not at all recommended for young children.
- Choose foods that are less salty and less spicy.
- Avoid foods that are high in sugar and fat content.
- When it comes to cooking, prefer going in for cooking techniques like steaming, boiling and baking, rather than going in for frying, because that tends to involve extensive usage of oil, thus making the food item high in calories.
While the above article guides you to eating healthier, there is no substitute for customized professional advice given by a qualified nutritionist. We urge you to speak to your personal dietician or if you need help, contact a nutritionist at Qua Nutrition.
You can contact us at 080 32329292 or log on to www.quanutrition.com to book an appointment.