How to Make Smarter Choices While Shopping for Food
How to Make Smarter Choices While Shopping for Food: A time existed where there were only limited options of food to choose from. Development over the years have lead to introduction of various food produce made available to the consumer.With a wide range of food produce availability there lands too much confusion on what to purchase and what not to.
In today’s fast moving life people have irregular eating and sleeping pattern. This has caused rise to onset of various lifestyle disorder like diabetes, blood pressure, obesity heart problems and many more. Hence the need for shopping with alertness arises.
Tips to be considered while shopping are listed below!
- Don’t go with the claims put on by the product. Check the nutritional label behind the pack. Check for how much quantity does it provide. For example an xyz product originally of 200 ml has a nutritional label that gives nutritional content of 100 ml. Also check the labels and ask questions like ~ What is the first ingredient? Is it some form of sugar or high-fructose corn syrup? Are vitamins and minerals represented in high or low quantities? What is the fat and sodium content?
- Eat by the colors of the rainbow, and put lots of foods from the produce aisle with vibrant color in your cart ~Leafy greens, berries, red apples ,oranges
- Buy whole fruit instead of ready made fruit juices/ canned fruits.
- Add protein source to your cart like pulses,eggs, lean meat.
- Grab in healthy fats in your shopping cart which would include nuts like walnuts,almonds; fish like salmon.
- Prefer whole cereals compared to refined like maida.
- Include oils rich in MUFA and PUFA like olive oil, rice bran oil,etc
- Include dairy products like milk (skim) and milk products like low fat paneer,curd.
To wish to be well is a part of becoming well. – Seneca
While the above article guides you to eating healthier, there is no substitute for customized professional advice given by a qualified nutritionist. We urge you to speak to your personal dietician or if you need help, contact a nutritionist at Qua Nutrition.
You can contact us at 080 3232 9292 or log on to www.quanutrition.com to Book An Appointment.