What are the major nutrients essential in thyroid condition: What diet one should follow if they have a thyroid?
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the neck that helps to secrete thyroid hormone. It is an endocrine gland that takes care of various functions in the body like improving basal metabolic rate, bone health, amount of calories the body burns and generates. A Person’s diet has a significant role on one’s thyroid levels. High secretion of thyroid hormone (Hyperthyroid) as well as low secretion of thyroid hormone (Hypothyroid) causes many health risky condition. The common cause of primary hypothyroidism is chronic autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s disease). It is an auto-immune condition where our body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid gland.
As per the best nutritionist in Bangalore, maintaining normal range is very essential. Therefore, it is important to know what we are including in our diet and which food causes the condition heal or worsen. Maintaining thyroid levels within range can be challenging. Following simple measures and change in life style can make a huge difference and also reduce the side effects caused by the drugs.
As the thyroid hormone main function is body metabolism, disturbance in secretion may led to fatigue, high sensitivity towards cold, dry skin weight gain, muscle weakness, elevated cholesterol, abnormal menstrual cycle than usual, hair loss, depression, poor memory. So, diet can play a major role in all the above criteria.
The thyroid gland utilizes iodine from food to make the thyroid hormones: triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). About 100 µg of iodide is needed on a daily basis to generate a sufficient amount of thyroid hormone.
Does imbalance in thyroid hormone occur in children:
Yes, an imbalance in the thyroid can occur among children and teens. They can also experience the same symptoms as adults.
- They can have poor growth and metabolism
- Delay in teething
- Poor mental health
- Delayed puberty.
Hypothyroidism among infants is a serious concern as they affect the metabolism, there will be a disturbance in the system from an early age leading to major health conditions like cretinism, dwarfism.
By proper and balanced nutrition all the above can be addressed easily.
What are the major nutrients essential in thyroid condition:
It helps in the secretion of the thyroid hormone. Consuming iodine-rich food among the population is decreasing as a result thyroid imbalance has become more common among the individuals. Iodine-rich foods are fishes like cod, tuna, seaweed, shrimp, milk, yogurt, cheese, bread, and cereals. Iodine levels can also be increased with the help of supplements but the dosage is very important as high intake of iodine can also risk the body, therefore, supplementation should be approached with caution. Supplemental iodine may cause symptom flare-ups in people with Hashimoto’s disease because it stimulates autoimmune antibodies.
Vitamin D also plays a major in balancing thyroid levels in the body.
Maintaining optimal thyroid levels is very crucial for our health, nutrition plays a major role in maintaining thyroid function normally. Foods like milk, fatty fish, mushroom, egg and sunlight are good source of vitamin D.
Thyroid gland has the highest concentration of selenium. It has a greater effect in improving our immune health, cognitive function, fertility. Foods that are rich in selenium are brazil nut, tuna, crab, lobster.
Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage naturally release a compound called goitrin. Goitrin interfere with the synthesis of thyroid hormones. It is of much concern when combined with iodine deficiency. Heating cruciferous vegetables denatures much or all of this potential goitrogenic effect. So consuming cruciferous vegetable will not cause any health effects until it is not cooked well, as cooking breaks the harmful substance called goitrin the vegetables should be cooked well before consumption as they also have good benefits.
Tips on the nutrient intake to ease the thyroid condition.
- Including complex carbs like brown rice, whole wheat, millet maintains the metabolism and prevents the spike of blood glucose levels in hypothyroid patients.
- It is very much important to consume 5 portions of fruits and vegetables (3 portions of vegetables and 2 portions of fruits)
- Omega 3 from nuts and seeds balances the hormone and supports the thyroid function, omega 3 acts as an anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating.
- Iron is considered as a most important mineral for thyroid function can be obtained through the intake of pomegranate, sesame, corn, jaggery, lentils, dates, lean red meat, and fortified cereals.
- Low levels of vitamin D is a direct cause of hypothyroidism (hashimoto’s thyroiditis) hence vitamin D plays an important role, the primary source is the sunlight and supplementation can be done under proper guidance.
- Zinc involves in the synthesis of thyroid hormone, food such as legumes, whole grains, almonds, cashews and pumpkins can be included in the diet.
- B12 deficiency is observed in 30% of people with Thyroid hence it is important to include fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk and milk products
- Getting better sleep is an essential thing to fight fatigue as most of the patients due to high dosage of medication can experience insomnia and fatigue, some tips to improve sleep – intake of turmeric milk, nutmeg milk, chamomile tea can induce sleep
- One of the biggest contributors to sleep problems is stress, and people normally think about stressful situations when they are going to bed. To overcome these issues in a beneficial way, writing a journal or practicing relaxation techniques, such as meditation or involving in physical activities and exercise.
Thus, balancing with proper nutrition, including physical activity can give greater results. With respect to hypothyroid, exercise can help with weight gain, fatigue, and depression. With hyperthyroidism, anxiety and sleep disturbances are so common, and exercise can help regulate both. As fatigue is also a major health concern in thyroid addressing them with Vitamin B12 as well as yoga can also have greater benefits for the people who are unable to exercise.
Thyroid can be challenging when it comes to maintaining health as people experience weight fluctuations, cardio risk factor, fatigue, mood changes thus with a help of nutritionist with proper guidance will help to reduce all the symptoms and maintain the normal thyroid levels and enjoy healthy living.
You can contact us at 9743430000 or visit to quanutrition.com to Book An Appointment.